Does your organization try to isolate fundraising into a separate area that no one else wants to enter? It’s a common trend I think. And a bit misguided, since mission can’t happen without money. Thinking about it that way, it seems obvious to me that fundraising should be integrated into all areas of an organization.
But what would that look like? Perhaps it would be as simple as program staff including a reference in their community presentations about how the organization is able to provide the services offered (the generous contributions of people just like you). Perhaps it means that board members, excited about what the organization is accomplishing, would actually WANT to tell their friends about it and how they could be a part as well. Or it could be a little more complicated – accounting and IT staff who try to ensure that data is entered in such a way that would further the fundraising goals of the organization.
Next, how would that transition begin? One way that I’m a big fan of is instituting a staff giving program. Over time, it helps staff become investors in the program rather than just employees. It’s a small step towards a goal of integrating program, fundraising, and support functions.
Here’s a summary of this week’s headlines and fundraising / nonprofit items of interest. As always, please feel free to forward this to others you know who might benefit from it. Thanks again for reading!
- No. It is NOT enough to merely send a thank you letter. http://ow.ly/1pIBV
- New website gives voice to philanthropists in the UK. Can we try this in the US? http://bit.ly/9OniIp
- Advertising Experiment for Nonprofit Organizations http://bit.ly/cEPcis
- The Sales Boosting Logic of the P.S. (recommended for nonprofit appeal letters too) http://bit.ly/cEguI8
- How to engage with millenials http://bit.ly/a7PBh3
- New Generational Giving Data – multi-channel integration is important. http://bit.ly/cahA3v
- Do Nonprofit Boards Really Want Younger Members? http://bit.ly/a2LQby
- Free Whitepaper: Making Social Networks Work for Your Nonprofit Organization http://bit.ly/bZRRTV
- 10 Social Media Metrics for Nonprofit Organizations http://bit.ly/d7Lywr
- Technology Toolkit for Start-up Nonprofits: Part One: http://bit.ly/9FmgRN
- Charitable giving in 2009 was an estimated 2.2% of our gross domestic product; compare to India 0.6%; UK 1.6%;… http://bit.ly/cAFW18
- Dame Suzi Leather Warns of the ‘Financial Cliff Edge’ for UK Charities – could impact US as well http://bit.ly/9RDz72
- Baltimore Nonprofits in the Crosshairs http://bit.ly/91pizQ Recommendation to grab tax revenues from tax exempt property owners