Heidi Massey wrote a guest post (http://bit.ly/bBPpSq ) on Pamela’s Grantwriting Blog this week about the tensions that exist between fundraising and program professionals. The truth is, neither programs nor fundraising can be successful without the other (we need money to operate programs, but we need strong programs to warrant funding). One of the root causes of these tensions is how organizations are structured (those silos always seem to show up).
If we as fundraisers are focused on the mission of the organization, we can be better partners with program staff. Part of this is taking the time to learn about the programs we’re trying to raise funds for (and asking questions to better understand what is being tracked already so that we can use those outcomes in materials being developed for fundraising).
In addition to learning about the program, we need to listen to concerns of program staff. There has been more than one instance where I followed in the steps of a fundraiser who was only focused on the money. This really alienated program staff. That bad taste doesn’t go away overnight. If we are truly passionate about the mission of the organization, then we can be seen more as partners in the cause rather than an annoyance. Hopefully through this process a mutual respect can be developed (and if we go into this process feeling superior we will most likely fail).
What can you do this week to build bridges between fundraising staff and program staff?
Here’s a summary of this week’s headlines and fundraising / nonprofit items of interest. As always, please feel free to forward this to others you know who might benefit from it. Thanks again for reading!
- Kindness + Quality + Wow = Repeat Donors + New Donors = Donations Plus Plus http://bit.ly/9M59cP
- The majority of people under 35 say they will increase their giving this year. http://bit.ly/bXXGCy
- Donations of Products and Other Noncash Gifts Rose Nearly 13% http://bit.ly/ap1ZoI
BOARD DEVELOPMENT / LEADERSHIP
- Fundraisers and Program Professionals: Can’t Everyone Just Get Along? http://bit.ly/bBPpSq
- Where do online donors go? (hint: some go off-line) http://bit.ly/dlRkbW
- Is Your Nonprofit Facebook Page Worth It? Hint: It depends http://bit.ly/abRGo0
- 9 Ways Nonprofits Can Excel Using Social Media | Beth’s Blog http://bit.ly/d0agCl
- Why Charities Aren’t Raising More Money Online (Hint: we’re not asking in the right way) http://bit.ly/dgGTiM
- Clean Water Charity Offers Social-Media Tools Other Groups Can Use http://bit.ly/cvLm27
- Is this true for you? Successful email campaigns: More response, more unsubscribes. http://bit.ly/aQGcvV
- Conducting Webinars to Engage: The Good, The Bad, and The UGLY! http://bit.ly/cPbbxw
- You should watch these four finalists for the Tactical Philanthropy Fantastic Video Contest. http://bit.ly/b0ahoC
- It’s Time to Fix the Message Disconnect in Your Nonprofit Communications http://bit.ly/aKPB2X