Let me start by extending a special welcome to those who attended the Business First workshop in Louisville, Kentucky, USA on Friday morning! I hope you walked away from the event with some good ideas that you can begin implementing immediately.
This week, there were two primary issues that rose to the forefront in blogs. One was the U.S. #charitable tax deduction. For many years this issue has been seen as a sacred cow. There no longer seem to be any sacred cows. If you’re in the US, please watch this issue, know how it might impact your organization and be ready to speak up if you feel it would be detrimental. The second was the introduction of #Jumo. It will be interesting to see how/if this impacts how nonprofits are interacting on-line with the general public.
Here’s a summary of this week’s articles and blogs related to #fundraising and nonprofit organizations. As always, please share this with others might benefit from the information. Thanks again for reading!
- The great gaping disconnect (between what donor’s want and what they get) http://bit.ly/dZrVtG Katya’s Non-Profit Marketing Blog
- High Hopes for Holiday Giving: 74% of adults plan to give this holiday season http://bit.ly/icSSzK AFP
- Giving What We Can: movement started by Rutgers University students to inspire giving | http://bit.ly/ftniFI NJ.com
- 2010 Fundraising Survey Results: The Worst May Be Over http://bit.ly/h6Oy81 Guidestar
- Faith-based fundraisers go with creative strategies (the Advent Conspiracy) http://usat.ly/e1pBCp USATODAY.com
- A Guide to Being a Good Solicitor | http://bit.ly/fnUfgl eJewish Philanthropy
- Impacting Communities the Prime Motivator of #Corporate Social Responsibility Programs http://bit.ly/hy8QeR PNNOnline.org
- Send Steve Jobs A Message: Let Us Give Donations on the #iPhone | http://bit.ly/gUH49H Beth’s Blog
- Why the Social Network Jumo Will Succeed http://bit.ly/hFWDSn The Chronicle of Philanthropy
- A First Look at Jumo (great overview!) | http://bit.ly/eepkd0 Beth’s Blog
- Don’t chase the money; passionately pursue your mission. http://bit.ly/fsJKUt Guidestar
- Nonprofit closing because their mission was accomplished. http://bit.ly/gbci1Z The Nonprofit Quarterly
- Two food pantries commit to clients’ self-sufficiency over taking food with stipulations. http://bit.ly/efAzKM
- An Extraordinary Model of Capacity Building (sharing back-office and marketing costs) http://bit.ly/heennd The Nonprofit Quarterly
- Nonprofit Fined US$168,000 for Failure to File 990s http://bit.ly/hvUX12 The Nonprofit Quarterly
- Plan to Change Charitable Deduction Hits Snag http://bit.ly/eOmqMs The Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Trends in Giving, Volunteering, and the Outlook for 2011 http://bit.ly/h6j32f PhilanTopic
- Nonprofits and the Economy; a Mixed Bag (but more seeing gains and fewer seeing losses) http://bit.ly/fj8UPe eJewish Philanthropy
- Charity Navigator Seeks to Broadly Inform Charitable Donors http://nyti.ms/flTxHH NYTimes.com
- Billionaires Giving Back (Warren Buffett, Bill and Melinda Gates, Ted Turner and others) http://abcn.ws/gDps5n ABC News
- Philanthropist in Need is a Model for Others http://bit.ly/f9i31m The Nonprofit Quarterly