Was it a tough weekend for you? On Saturday I tried to read through some of the stories on 9/11, but had to stop. It was overwhelming.
Immediately following 9/11, we seemed to come together as a country to oppose extremism. Unfortunately, that spirit did not last and today we seem to be committed to being extremely opposed to each other. It saddens me when I see our political leaders (on both sides) publicly assail each other and call each other names.
Maya Angelou, in her poem, Million Man March, says:
I say, clap hands and let’s come together in this meeting ground,
I say, clap hands and let’s deal with each other with love,
I say, clap hands and let us get from the low road of indifference,
Clap hands, let us invite joy into our conversation,
Courtesy into our bedrooms,
Gentleness into our kitchen,
Care into our nursery.
I, for one, will try to make courtesy, gentleness and care a more central focus of my life. What about you?
Here’s a summary of this week’s articles and blogs related to fundraising and nonprofit organizations. As always, please share this with others might benefit from the information. Thanks again for reading!
- End of the Year Fundraising – Building the Relationship http://bit.ly/9VmLSO Talisman Thinking Out Loud
- Example of Providing Options Beyond Basic Online Subscription http://bit.ly/cG9AB7 High Context Consulting
- Heart Of The Donor (why give a first gift? second gift? turnoffs?) http://bit.ly/bz4YsU The Agitator
- The new keys to success in fundraising today. http://bit.ly/b4R6yx Mal Warwick’s Newsletter
- How to Get Your Donors More Engaged http://bit.ly/cSaase News for Social Entrepreneurs
- 40 hashtags for social good (and how to create yours) http://bit.ly/9kp3ZO socialbrite
- The Basics of Online Marketing for Nonprofits http://bit.ly/a1EAe7 Joanne’s Nonprofits Blog
- The Average Twitter User Is How Old? (HINT: 39) http://bit.ly/bOB8mK thenextweb.com
- The self-centered nonprofit website (great short video) http://bit.ly/c1gfeQ Future Fundraising Now
- Beware the fatal disease of one-sidedness. http://bit.ly/b9k8dW SOFII
- Create a free easy-to-read newsletter from your tweets. Just built mine and found some things I would have missed. www.paper.li
- Tell More Stories to Build Your Movement (what movement is your nonprofit promoting) http://bit.ly/9oGiQ9 frogloop
- Two ways to improve subject lines http://bit.ly/d9KXoL Future Fundraising Now
- Engage board members in stewardship first http://bit.ly/c07Mp4 Blackbaud News
- Nonprofit Shares Failure & Looks Great http://bit.ly/bbNNph Tactical Philanthropy
- Who is best at identifying the root issues? the expert or the beneficiary? http://bit.ly/ayIPHq Pulling for the Underdog Blog
- How Much Must Charities Disclose? http://bit.ly/9qm0nA The Chronicle of Philanthropy
- How much due diligence is needed? Return of Felon’s Gift Could Force Small Minn. Charity to Close http://bit.ly/amRSaN The Chronicle of Philanthropy
- How to say ‘Peace’ in 100+ languages http://bit.ly/amAVNM
- World Giving Index Launches http://bit.ly/d70FnP eJewish Philanthropy
- Report: Nonprofits turn $1 into $10 http://bit.ly/9Axi8u The St Augustine Record
- Survey Says U.S. is Fifth in Charitable Behavior http://bit.ly/9Ixu5Q The Nonprofit Quarterly
- Nonprofits Adding Jobs While Businesses Lose Them http://bit.ly/d4jkUn The Chronicle of Philanthropy