Today, we’re talking with #Pamela Hawley, Founder and CEO of Universal Giving. Pamela shared with us how she finds, identifies and grooms potential board members, the criteria she uses, the active role of the board of advisors, and why nonprofits should not invite friends and family to the board.
Universal Giving is an award-winning nonprofit helping people to donate and volunteer with top performing, vetted organizations all over the world. She is a winner of the Jefferson Award (the Nobel Prize in Community Service) and has been invited to three Social Innovation events at the White House. She also writes Living and Giving, a blog with the mission of “Inspiring Leaders to Live with Excellence and Love.” For more information about Pamela and Universal Giving, follow them on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn!
The key points covered in this podcast discussion are:
- Strategically Identify and Groom New Potential Board Members
- Assessing Potential Board Members
- Hold Board Members Accountable with Sensitivity and Outcomes Worksheets
- Why You Shouldn’t Recruit Friends and Family as Board Members
- Don’t Take Funding (or Anything Else) for Granted
- When the Going Gets Tough, Keep Looking Up
Visit http://SocialGoodInstigators.com to learn more about our podcasts and to sign up to receive notifications as new episodes are released (every 2-3 weeks).