Last week was the week of the Ice Bucket Challenge! My guess is that just about every single development director wishes that it could have been their organization that came up with the idea. But coming up with the idea is only part of the challenge. Making it go viral is the real challenge, and unfortunately what works this time may (or may not) work next time.
Here are some of the headlines from last week. Hope you enjoy them!
Awareness / Communications
- What Can You Do to Raise Awareness for Your Nonprofit? Do you get frustrated that people in your community just don’t ‘get it?’ Here’s something I’ve learned: People won’t give if they don’t know that there’s a need. And they won’t know that there’s a need unless we tell them (in a way that they understand). So here’s the question…
- Maximizing the Deliverability of Your Non-Profit’s Mass Email We’ve seen more and more non-profits and campaigns reporting trouble getting their mass emails delivered to inboxes with Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, and the other major ISPs. This is a universal problem, due to the way that email service… @HuffPost
- How to Knock Off the Ice Bucket Challenge and Make Social Media Work for Your Cause Seems like everyone these days is either buzzing about the #icebucketchallenge . . . or they are actually participating in it by dumping ice water on themselves. ALS says it has raised $31.5 million since July 29. @GailPerryNC offers some tips on how you can make a related approach work for you.
- The Six Simple Stages to Successful Campaign Planning The focus of this post is on issue advocacy, but the outline presented can be beneficial for any organization. From @NTENorg
- Three new studies explore celebrity engagement with charities Three recent academic studies have explored charities’ use of celebrities to promote their causes. One of the key points, donors are more receptive to celebrities in cases where the celebrities reputation is at least somewhat related to the cause. From UK Fundraising via @AFPIHQ
- Before You Hit Send: Your End of Year Fundraising Appeal Checklist With the season of giving just around the corner, it’s crucial that your organization is prepared to capitalize on the generosity of your donors and potential donors. A well-crafted fundraising appeal is the integral piece… From @Blackbaud