This year I grew these amazing Cherokee Purple Heirloom tomatoes. When I picked the first one I washed it off and started slicing it. The first thing I noticed when I picked it was how ugly it was. There were a few cracks near the top that had broken up while it was growing and had healed over. The next thing I noticed was how dense it was. Not much empty space at all. And then I took a bite. Wow. I’ve ended up having those tomatoes as a dessert a few times now. If you’ve never bitten into a really good heirloom tomato grown in your backyard I’m not quite sure you’d understand.
But what in the world does this have to do with nonprofits? Or with fundraising?
Read more to find out.
Where I’ll be next:
- Oct. 18 – 20 – International Fundraising Conference – Noordwijk, Netherlands, attending
- Nov. 1 – Center for Nonprofit Excellence Annual Conference – Louisville, KY, attending
- Nov. 3 – Are You Ready for a Major Gift Campaign Webinar – Online
- Nov. 7 – Monthly Q&A Call for Clients
- Nov. 16 – AFP Greater Louisville Chapter Philanthropy Day Luncheon, attending
- Nov. 17 – 8 Steps to Fundraising Success – Bluegrass PRSA Chapter Meeting
Are you new to fundraising? Would you like to know (ahead of time) some of the pitfalls to avoid related to starting and/or running a development office? Call or email me to schedule a strategy session to learn more.
Here is a summary of recent articles and blogs related to fundraising and nonprofit organizations. As always, please forward this to others who might benefit from the information. Thanks again for reading!
- Volunteer Onboarding: Four Ways to Convert Joiners to Stayers – http://bit.ly/rbe1y2 Tobi’s Nonprofit Management Blog
- Y Gen Y? (including Y in your fundraising plans) http://bit.ly/nNnEfA
- Why Your Silent Auction Sucks & Why You Should Hold It Anyway http://bit.ly/oAkjvH ARTSblog
- Think Big: Transformational Funding (must be, well, big) http://bit.ly/pbfm2q forimpact.org
- Economic Uncertainty Creates Savvier Donors | http://bit.ly/nYWRd4 JGA Counsel
- Demonstrating Membership Value (to attract and retain members) http://bit.ly/pQGaQu Wild Apricot Blog
- Young professionals giving circle sees membership soar http://bit.ly/pbhm46 www.HometownAnnapolis.com – The Capital
- Highlights from the 2011 Cone/Echo Global CSR Study http://bit.ly/nsNzHP The Network for Good
- How to have an absolutely fabulous landing page http://bit.ly/pWp9qg Katya’s Non-Profit Marketing Blog
- How nonprofits should use infographics http://bit.ly/qzwjlT socialbrite
- Great example: Rock Stars of Nonprofit Thank You Notes http://bit.ly/nONsru Kivi Leroux Miller
- Capturing Your Organization’s Stories http://bit.ly/qeC2Oy Wild Apricot Blog
- State Regulators Grapple With Best Ways to Police Social-Media Appeals – http://bit.ly/pqhdBK The Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Million Dollar Donors: A Free Searchable Data Base Thanks to IUPUI http://bit.ly/qEkUVB The Nonprofit Quarterly
- Empowering Others to Help (engaging new people in our cause) http://bit.ly/nfTum2 Inspiring Generosity
In The News/Other
- Charitable Deduction Cap Pulled From Bill – http://bit.ly/neEBmg TheNonProfitTimes
- Profiles in Greatness: The Rockefellers | http://bit.ly/q6re1P SUCCESS Magazine
- Great document describing charitable lead trusts (pdf alert) http://bit.ly/oSD1NL foremostadvice.com
- 4 Thoughts on what celebrities can and can’t do for your cause http://bit.ly/nyc2WA Katya’s Non-Profit Marketing Blog