Here are last week’s headlines with news, tips, and ideas you can use to improve your nonprofit.
- 2013 looks to be a very challenging fundraising year. 16 experts tell you how to keep your donors wanting to come back.
- This post outlines KD Paine’s 7 Simple Steps of Measurement with information that can help any nonprofit get started down the measurement path.
- 53% of the reasons donors give for heading to the exit is because the organization failed to properly communicate in one way or another. Learn more about recent studies on donor service issues.
- Direct mail doesn’t need to be pretty to work – and sometimes it helps if it’s ugly.
- A survey of more than 160 business leaders and philanthropists across England and Scotland found that nearly 60% of respondents felt that information on the impact of a charity’s work was a deciding factor in their decision to donate.
- The Blackbaud Index recently reported that overall giving increased 3.6% and online giving increased 13.7% for the three months ending January 2013 as compared to the same period in 2012, indicating a continued recovery of charitable giving.
- This post includes some great ideas and thoughts related to protecting confidentiality when you’re producing video testimonials.
- With recent changes to Facebook Pages and the newsfeed algorithm that now prevents parts of your audience from seeing everything you share, nonprofits big and small are turning to Facebook ads for as little as $1 per day to ensure eyeballs and engagement. Read more.
- If you have no research budget for consultants, try to glean what you can from those around you in your daily work. What trends have staff or volunteers noticed among members, clientele, or donors? Go wherever your audience congregates. Read more ideas here.
- You don’t have to be the world’s best artist to create a respectable infographic to help you make sense of your data, but it does take a little consideration and small amount of inspiration. This article shares some ideas to get the creative juices flowing.
- To boost engagement and Likes for your nonprofit’s page, here are 3 effective and simple ways to use Facebook apps.
Leadership / Nonprofit News
- Before nonprofits can take our rightful seat at the table with public and for-profit sector players, we need to let go of some of the old mindsets and practices that have held us back for too long.
- If you feel the need to strengthen your financial management savvy, check out StrongNonprofits.org, a new website featuring free tools, how-tos and guides. Learn more.
- The new HIPAA Healthcare Privacy Rules (called Final Rule) clarify some of the previous regulations that will allow development professionals working in healthcare-related philanthropy to better communicate and engage with potential donors.
- An Urban Institute national survey of human service organizations determined that in 2009, government funding accounted for over 65 percent of the total revenue of organizations surveyed. Should sequestration be allowed to take effect, human service nonprofits would lose billions of dollars in government funding. Find out how sequestration could affect nonprofits.