How is fundraising like gardening? First you prepare the ground (learn about the organization). Then you plant the seeds (let people know about the organization you’re devoting your time to and notice who is interested in learning more). Fertilize (provide more information to people who are interested). Weed (don’t worry about the people whose passion is with other causes). Harvest (invite people to participate in the cause). And finally, Eat (Celebrate your success!). The picture above is from my vegetable garden. The summer squash seedlings did not make it, but there are many other items that look like they are growing fairly well. I’ll keep you updated!
Here’s the summary of this week’s headlines and fundraising / nonprofit items of interest. As always, please feel free to forward this to others you know who might benefit from it. Thanks again for reading!
- 5 reasons for nonprofits to still use Direct Mail http://bit.ly/b6ba54
- 10 reasons why people respond to fundraising letters. http://bit.ly/ak37JY
- Future Givers are Created Not Born http://bit.ly/9opTTN
- 5 Tips for Raising More Money from Foundations http://bit.ly/cDeqJw
BOARD DEVELOPMENT / LEADERSHIP
- How to Find, Enlist and Motivate Nonprofit Board Leadership http://bit.ly/dpC61b
- Where are all the fundraising heroes? (Hint: they become heroes) http://bit.ly/9Hos03
- 10 Tips for Keeping Your Nonprofit Board Fired Up and in Action for the Cause http://bit.ly/9u3GJT
- Three Types of Donors Today and Three Ways to Keep Them http://bit.ly/bbrcqp
- Twitter Social Good Campaigns: Moving Up The Ladder of Engagement http://bit.ly/d32SLd
- How to Use Facebook for Business and Marketing http://bit.ly/aGgjk1
- Fundraising Road Show: sharing your story http://bit.ly/bZFpm9 this has worked great with a few nonprofits I’ve worked with.
- Giving and Volunteering, what religion does to the numbers http://bit.ly/c4gChw
- White House looking to nonprofits for social solutions http://bit.ly/dwmB1J
- Fundraisers saw a median 4% pay increase in 2009. http://bit.ly/9jXNzw
- Charities Say No to Craigslist Cash (from ‘adult services’ ads) http://bit.ly/acnosb